Coach / Scrum Master
In our London office
Potato has an ongoing need for Coaches / Scrum Masters to join us in our office in central London, developing websites, tools and apps for huge audiences. Our clients include Google, YouTube and Tate. We are proud to be a part of the AKQA network.
This role will see you working as part of a friendly, expert team. The workload will sometimes be hectic, but the atmosphere is cheerful and proactive.
We're looking for Coaches who have the intelligence and experience to cut straight to what’s relevant and concisely ask the right questions.
Our projects and products are run light. The least amount of intervention, documentation, and process is used to deftly deliver, often beyond what the client requires, on time and on budget.
The Coach is essentially accountable for 'helping our Product Teams help themselves'.
We need our Coaches - at all levels - to enable our product delivery teams to work efficiently, effectively and positively together. You will collaborate with cross functional, highly skilled engineering and design teams. Above all, the Coach team impacts the way we deliver purposeful digital products and services to market for our clients.
A vital part of the role is fostering a team-based environment where reliable project delivery happens through empowering teams of skilled individuals, rather than through old-fashioned project management 'command & control' approaches.
As a Coach you will need to be a representative for the practice internally and externally, focus on constant self-development to stay progressive, and be responsible for supporting (not line managing) one or more projects. You will be expected to support your product/project team and foster healthy teamwork.
This is a permanent role.
You will be responsible for...
- Ensuring the successful delivery of projects by fostering an environment of proactivity, delivery, and continuous improvement
- Fostering healthy and positive team dynamics, communication, and feedback
- Helping teams with challenges related to how they work and interact together
- Coaching individuals throughout your teams, as needed, in areas like professional growth and interpersonal interactions (including conflict resolution)
- Raising issues early and often to model the value of early problem detection
- Taking a leading role to help grow and maintain a source of key tools, methods, approaches and templates
- Helping product teams integrate client and partner teams to foster a 'one team' collaboration
- Partnering with the Product Lead (responsible for Product Outcomes and Strategy) - and can intervene to be better facilitate a positive team dynamic
- Supporting the Product Lead in their management and refinement of the product backlog to ensure its quality is conducive to product flow
- Scrum and Sprint application - though we do not intend to slavishly adopt Agile processes, Coaches will be using the concepts of the Scrum Framework as foundation for team support, and managing sprint-based iterations on projects. Therefore all our coaches will have Scrum experience, directly through practice, and through training and ongoing development support
- Planning and tracking velocity, burn rates and team-member-time
- Performing regular reporting on your products/projects for accurate management reporting
- Running invoices on your products/projects
You should be able to demonstrate...
- Your passion for, and broad technical understanding of, the web (coding experience is nice but not essential)
- Empathy, emotional intelligence, and social intelligence
- A high level of understanding of iterative digital project delivery and disciplines
- A high level of understanding of web and mobile technologies and platforms
- Personal resilience
- Comfort with ambiguity
- Self-motivation and ability to motivate others
- Being effective in influencing individuals and groups
- An outcomes-focused and consultative approach
You should know about...
- Facilitating group sessions such as retrospectives, conflict resolution, decision making, team and project kick-offs, involving team members to take active roles as appropriate
- Quick, thorough and friendly client and team communications
- Systems thinking at a level above individual project requirements
- Prevalent agile and lean software delivery and design practices
- Scrum & Sprint leadership
- Proactive risk mitigation, preventing issues from leading to preventable escalations in collaboration with the teams
- Handling and effectively solving problems in a fast-paced environment
- Backlog definition and refinement
- Understanding and anticipating clients needs/requirements
At Potato, we think that technology should improve our lives. That’s why best-in-class software development and human-centred design are at the heart of everything that we do. We’re a talented bunch of problem solvers who are committed to finding a better way; delivering smarter products that provide more satisfying experiences and more valuable outcomes for our clients and their users.
What’s in it for you? Well, quite a lot actually:
- Competitive salary
- Free lunch, drinks and snacks
- A fun and supportive working environment
- Nice laptop and phone
- Flexible working hours
- No limit on paid leave
- Employer contributory pension scheme
- Enhanced Maternity / Paternity Benefits
- Gym membership
We are sorry to inform you that due to the volume of applications we receive, we’re not always able to get back to everyone.
When applying, please ensure you attach a cover letter and CV, and we’ll get back to you if you’re successful.
Please don't call.
If (one day) we need you, we'll be in touch. We will not engage with cold-calling or emailing recruitment agencies in any way.