Senior Python Engineer
This role is based at our studio in SOMA, San Francisco. where you’ll have a desk with your name on it.
You’ll take a leading role in one of our product teams, where you’ll make sound architectural decisions in building complex and highly-scalable web applications. You’ll also mentor engineers both in your product team and across our wider engineering team.
Working alongside designers, coaches and product leads, you’ll be responsible for delivering the technical side of products by ensuring you and your team plan and execute the delivery of excellent simple, reliable, maintainable software, meeting user and stakeholder needs and timelines.
Most of our products are web-based and use Python (and occasionally Node) on the server, most often on Google App Engine (sometimes Firebase or AWS). We use a mix of relational and non-relational databases, and other cloud services. We aim to strike a balance between leveraging our existing strengths and exploring new tech.
We’re looking for someone who writes great code, but also enjoys working directly with stakeholders whilst taking a high-level strategic view of the product.
We look for developers able to find creative solutions to technical problems and user needs, whilst also finding opportunities to optimise and simplify software. For this role, we’re looking for people capable of supporting, guiding and empowering teams to produce excellent software, striking the right balance between perfection and delivery.
Experience with Google App Engine is a plus, but not mandatory.
We like to see proven abilities in...
- Experience building for the web using Python.
- Experience using Git to manage development in teams.
- Experience with Google App Engine or a similar PaaS.
- An understanding of security vulnerabilities and how to prevent them.
- An understanding of both relational and non-relational databases.
- An appreciation of the full web stack.
We also like talking to people who enjoy...
- Experience meeting and working directly with clients.
- Experience mentoring and supporting fellow developers.
- Experience creating secure and well-designed APIs.
- Experience building for scale: high traffic, big data, large feature sets.
- An appreciation of current trends in both backend and frontend web technologies.
- Front-end web or native app development skills.
- An understanding of Agile methodologies such as Scrum and Kanban.
- Knowledge of testing and QA tools and methodologies.
At Potato, we think that technology should improve our lives. That’s why best-in-class software development and human-centred design are at the heart of everything that we do. We’re a talented bunch of problem solvers who are committed to finding a better way; delivering smarter products that provide more satisfying experiences and more valuable outcomes for our clients and their users.
You’ll have many opportunities for growth and learning: collaboration within teams, rotation to different products, experimentation on internal tools, involvement in new business and pitching, our Potato Talks events, mentorship, training courses, and conferences. Every engineer is assigned a Tech Community Lead to support their growth.
As part of one of our friendly, supportive, proactive Agile product teams, you’ll collaborate closely with fellow engineers, designers, and other team members. Our teams are self-organising, with the freedom to define their own ways of working.
What’s in it for you? Well, quite a lot actually:
- Competitive remuneration package
- No limit on vacation and sick time
- A unique and open culture
- The chance to work on a range of interesting projects
- Free lunch
- 401k plan
- Nice laptop and phone
- Subsidized gym membership
We are sorry to inform you that due to the volume of applications we receive, we’re not always able to get back to everyone.
When applying, please ensure you attach a cover letter and resume, and we’ll get back to you if you’re successful.
Please don't call.
If (one day) we need you, we'll be in touch. We will not engage with cold-calling or emailing recruitment agencies in any way.