Last updated: July 2019
The data we collect
We collect personal data that you share with us as an applicant when you register, contact us or interact with us in person, through our website, email, phone or otherwise. You do not have to share personal data with us, but without it, we would be unable to consider your application.
We ask for the following information during our recruitment process:
- Your name.
- Your contact details.
- A form of identification.
- Your country of residence.
- Your professional experience and educational history.
- Your salary information (UK only).
- Your responses to questions during the application process.
- Other information you voluntarily provide through the process, including through interviews or take-home tasks.
- Your notice period at your current employer.
- References from previous employers.
Use of third parties
Whilst most of your personal information is given by you, we may get some information about you from other sources:
- Background checking agencies.
- Workplace references from your referees.
- Publicly available sources (e.g. social and professional profiles).
- Third-party recruitment firms.
Your browser settings decide if cookies will be stored on your computer or not. You can change your browser settings to prevent cookies from being stored and can also clear any cookies currently saved.
How we use your data
We use the personal information you share with us in the following ways:
- Communicate with you throughout the hiring process.
- Run recruitment and promotion processes (including an applicant tracking system).
- Run background checks (we’ll let you know beforehand).
- To comply with immigration and employment laws.
- Track our equal opportunities, diversity and other recruitment performance.
- Inform you of any changes to Potato’s policies or other matters important to you as a job applicant.
Who we share your data with
We share your data with the following groups of people:
- Internally with our People Team and other Potato employees who are involved in your hiring process.
- Recruitment/Executive Search agencies/consultants explicitly involved in your recruitment.
- Software companies providing the online tools we use for our recruitment process (e.g. Greenhouse, Trello).
- Background checking agencies/consultants
- In some circumstances, we may share your details with other parties to comply with the law or to protect our rights, property or safety
If our job description or website contains links to third-party sites, please be aware that those sites may have their own tracking and privacy policies in place.
How long your data is kept
Whilst we are keen to keep our eyes peeled for potential Potatoes, we only keep your personal data for as long as we are legally required and your details will be removed after 12 months of inactivity on your profile.
We hang onto your data for two main reasons:
- In case we face a legal challenge about our decision.
- We like your style and want to consider you for other opportunities.
If you want your details taken out of the Potato database, you can chat with us. See the information under ‘Your rights’ for more details.
How we protect your personal data
We use appropriate technical and organisational measures, including encryption, to protect your personal data and privacy, and review those regularly. We protect your personal data using a combination of physical and IT security controls, including access controls that restrict and manage the way in which your personal information and data are processed, managed and handled. Whilst we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information, we commit to taking all reasonable steps to do so.
It’s important that you know your legal rights on how we use your personal data.
You are legally entitled to:
- Ask for a copy of the personal data we hold about you.
- Ask us to correct or update inaccurate data that we hold about you.
- Ask us to delete your data – where legal reasons would be the only thing preventing us from doing that right away.
- Stop us using your data for research and statistical purposes.
- Withdraw any consent you’ve previously given us about your personal data.
If you have any questions, comments or concerns about any aspect of this policy or how Potato handles your information please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org